In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization, commonly known, as ‘test tube baby‘ is the miracleterm for infertile couples desirous of a child. This technology has enabled millions of hopeless couples to have children of their own, and experience the unmatched joy of parenthood.
Who Needs IVF?
- Tubal Damage or Block
- Absent or Low Sperm Count (< 5million /ml)
- Damaged uterine lining (Endometrium)
- Poor Ovarian (Egg) capacity/Advanced female age
- Failure of Fertility treatment for more than 2 to 5 years.
Success Rate of IVF:
In best cases (good sperm, egg and uterine quality) the success rate may reach up to 50-60% attempt and 90% in 2-3 attempts. However, where quality is not good success rates are lower.
Process of IVF :
The IVF process consists of ovarian stimulation, egg collection, fertilization, embryo culture and embryo transfer. Screening processes like normal ultrasound and blood tests are a pre-requisite for proceeding with IVF. If any abnormality like fibroid etc. is detected, it is treated before proceeding with IVF.
- Ovarian stimulation requires daily injection of hormones (usually for 10-12 days) to the female partner with frequent clinical and ultrasonographic monitoring.
- Egg retrieval is performed under anesthesia, internally without any incisions or scars.
- The process involves either mixing the egg with the sperm (IVF) or injecting the sperm into the egg, known as Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI).
- The egg once fertilized by this process forms the embryo, which is then cultured in the laboratory for 2 – 3 days.
- The best 2 – 3 embryos are then selected and transferred into the womb (uterus) on the second or the third day.
- The Blastocyst is transferred on the fifth day, decided from case-to-case basis.
- The pregnancy test is carried out fourteen days after embryo transfer.
Estimated Time Required and When to Arrive:
- One IVF cycle takes about l5 days from start of period to embryo transfer. In this case, you need to reach 3-4 days before the period starts.
- Many patients may not be able to spare so much time. If you collect your medications from us in advance your stay can be reduced to a week to 10 days around the time of embryo transfer. In this case, you can reach on the 7th or 8th day of your period.
- You can travel back 2-3 days after embryo transfer. We are sure that travelling does not reduce the chance of pregnancy.
- It takes 15 days from the embryo transfer to obtain the pregnancy test result.
Number of visits and Hospitalization:
- The total number of visits may vary from 4-6 usually.
- There is no overnight hospitalization and both egg pick up andembryo transfer are day care procedures.
- Husband needs to come on day of egg pick up or freeze sperms beforehand.
COST OF IVF
The cost of an IVF cycle varies from Rs 1.30 lac to 1.60 lac, depending on the case. On an average, it is about Rs 1.5 lacs. The package includes the hormonal injection used for stimulation, the oral medication and vitamins for husband and wife during IVF stimulation, doctors consultation fees and follicular monitoring during the IVF cycle.