What is Hysteroscopy?
Hysteroscopy is an endoscopy day care procedure to examine the uterine cavity from inside. A thin lighted instrument with camera is inserted inside the uterine cavity to diagnose any problems like polyp, fibroid, adhesions, septum, any issue in cavity shape or size and to treat it in the same sitting. It will be done under short general anesthesia.
When is it done in IVF?
It is a process done before starting IVF especially if there are suggestions of fibroids, polyps, uterine defects and adhesions. It is definitely suggested after a Failed IVF attempt.
What are the advantages of a Hysteroscopy?
It is done to identify the problem – any presence of polyp, fibroid, septum, and adhesions. Apart from this, the uterus is cleaned with an antibiotic solution and a tissue is taken and send for infection testing. Not only this, polyps or fibroid are removed , septal resection, cutting of adhesions and tubal cannulation can also be done at the same sitting.
What precautions need to be taken before Hysteroscopy?
- Require basic blood investigations
- Visit Pre or Post menstrual for process
- Do a UPT if pre- menstrual
- Need to come fasting (for 6 to 8 hours)
- Continue some medicines – thyroid, blood pressure medicine after consulting doctor on the day of surgery
What is the procedure of Hysteroscopy?
- Done under short general anesthesia
- Procedure time – 15 to 20 min (Diagnostic) and 30 to 45 min (Operative)
- Insertion of hysteroscope through vagina and cervix into the uterine cavity
- Infusion of normal saline fluid to expand the uterine cavity for better visuaslization
- Monitoring of procedure using a camera attached to the hysteroscope
- Inspection of ostia (opening of fallopian tube in uterus), uterine cavity, endocervical canal
- Performing the operative procedure if required in the same sitting
What are the instructions after Hysteroscopy?
- Day care procedure –Discharged after 2 to 3 hours of procedure
- Eat light food post procedure on same day
- May observe mild abdominal cramping, mild bleeding and urinary discomfort on same day
What are advantages of Hysteroscopy?
- Excellent assessment of the uterine cavity
- Fertility enhancing
- Faster recovery
- Short hospital stay
- No stitches
- Can resume normal activities from next day