Sperm Donation is a process in which a person donates his semen with the intention that it be used by someone to achieve pregnancy who is unable to conceive with her own partner.
Who needs Donor Sperm?
Donor Sperms are utilized in cases where the male partner has azoospermia (nil sperm count), low sperm count, failure of treatment of male Factor Infertility, and single women desirous of pregnancy.
Where are Donor Sperms available?
Sperm Donation is available from government certified donor banks called as Cryobanks.
How to select a Sperm Donor?
A Sperm Donor should be a medically tested young healthy man free from all infections and diseases. Sperms are matched with parent’s physical traits like height, skin & eye color, ethnicity, educational qualifications and any other desired parameter.
What are the criteria to select a Sperm Donor?
- Age should between 21 to 55, both included.
- Donor free from any infectious diseases like HIV and Hepatitis C, syphilis, gonorrhea.
- The blood group and Rh status of the donor must be determined and documented in the records.
- Sperm donor should be anonymous.
- Be Physically and Mentally Healthy
- Not have certain genetic disorders or medical conditions
- Have no history or evidence of alcohol and drug abuse.
What does the new ART laws say regarding Sperm Donation?
- Proper consents attached with ID proofs (Aadhar Card) are taken from both the parties so that the identity of the recipient and the donor is not disclosed.
- A donor can donate only once in his lifetime.
- All the semen vials of one donor are to be used for one commissioning couple only.
What is the success rate of Donor Sperm?
In the best cases, the success rate of Donor Sperm varies from 60% to 90% cumulative IUI or IVF pregnancy rates. It depends on case to case. This can vary depending on the age and health of the woman. Women who are over the age of 35 or have health problems such as low egg reserve have a lower success rate. It is also influenced by integrated advances in laboratory standards and modern technology and methods used for insemination.
(We do not encourage any calls from potential donors since we procure all donor samples from certified government banks)