Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Intrauterine Insemination involves the preparation of motile sperm by an andrologist, which is directly placed inside the uterus using a very fine catheter. The sperm is deposited after the release of an egg or eggs is determined, during a natural or stimulated cycle. Conception can then follow naturally inside the body.
In case of a stimulated cycle, called super ovulation, the size and number of follicles is measured using ultrasonography. A Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) injection is given to mature the eggs when the follicles reach a certain ideal size. IUI is performed within 24 – 36 hours post the HCG injection.
IUI Fertility Treatment’s success rate is up to 20% per cycle. It is recommended that at least 3 – 4 cycles of treatment be attempted before opting for other options.
Who Needs IUI?
- Male Infertility (Mild)
- Failure to conceive after ovulation induction treatment
- Sexual dysfunction- Ejaculatory disorder
- Retrograde Ejaculation
- Unexplained Infertility
Success rate of IUI:
In the best of cases where good sperm, egg and uterine quality has been ensured, the success rate may reach up to 30% per attempt. At least 3 – 4 cycles of the treatment are recommended before considering other options.
Process of IUI:
- IUI can be offered for both, natural or stimulated cycle.
- In case of a natural cycle, follicular monitoring starts from day 9 or 10 of periods till follicle ruptures. IUI is done on the day of the follicle rupture.
- In a stimulated cycle (super ovulation), tablets or hormonal injections course is begun on the second day of the menstruation cycle. The size and number of follicles are measured using ultrasonography and the Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) injection is given to mature the eggs upon reaching optimal size of the follicles. IUI is performed 36 hours after the HCG injection.
Estimated Time Required and When to Arrive:
- One IUI cycle takes about 15 days from the start of the period to sperm insemination. In this case, you need to reach 2-3 days before the period starts.
- Many patients may not be able to spare so much time. Collecting medications in advance from us can reduce your stay to 5 – 7 days around the time of IUI. In this case, you can reach on the 9th or 10th day of your period.
- You can travel back the same day after IUI, as travelling does not reduce the chance of a pregnancy.
- It takes 15 days from the IUI date to obtain the pregnancy test result.
Number of visits and Hospitalization:
- The total number of visits vary from 2 to 5.
- No overnight hospitalisation is required as IUI is a day care procedure.
- Husband needs to come on the day of IUI to give the sperm sample.