Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
In an Intrauterine Insemination cycle, a sample of motile sperm is prepared by the andrologist and placed directly inside the uterus using a very fine catheter. The sperm is deposited after the release of an egg or eggs, in a natural or stimulated cycle. Conception occurs naturally inside the body.
IUI Treatment can be offered on a natural or stimulated cycle. On a stimulated cycle (super ovulation), the size and number of follicle are measured using ultrasonography; a Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) injection is given to mature the eggs when the follicles reach a certain size. IUI is performed 24-36 hours after the administration of the HCG injection.
The IUI Fertility Treatment success rate is up to 20% per cycle. It is recommended that at least 3-4 cycles of treatment are attempted before considering other options.
Who Needs IUI?
- Male Infertility (Mild)
- Failure to conceive after ovulation induction treatment
- Sexual dysfunction- Ejaculatory disorder
- Retrograde Ejaculation
- Unexplained Infertility
Success rate of IUI:
In best cases (good sperm, egg and uterine quality) the success rate may reach up to 20 to 30% per attempt. It is recommended that at least 3-4 cycles of the treatment be attempted before considering other options.
Process of IUI:
- IUI can be offered on a natural or stimulated cycle.
- In namral cycle, follicular monitoring starts from day 9 or 10 of periods till follicle ruptures. IUI is done on the day when follicle ruptures.
- In a stimulated cycle (super ovulation), tablets or hormonal injections starts from day 2 of your wife’s menses, the size and number of follicles are measured using ultrasonography; a Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) injection is given to mature the eggs when the follicles reach an optimal size.
- IUI is performed 36 hours after the administration of the HCG injection.
Estimated Time Required and When to Arrive:
- One IUI cycle takes about 15 days from start of period to sperm insemination. In this case, you need to reach 2-3 days before the period starts.
- Many patients may not be able to spare so much time. If you collect your medications from us in advance your stay can be reduced to a 5-7 days around the time of IUI. In this case, you can reach on the 9th or 10th day of your period.
- You can travel back the same day after IUI. We are sure that travelling does not reduce the chance of pregnancy.
- It takes 15 days from the IUI to obtain the pregnancy test result.
Number of visits and Hospitalization:
- The total number of visits may vary from 2-5 usually.
- No overnight hospitalization, IUI’s are day care procedures.
- Husband needs to come on day of IUI for giving the sperm sample.